Saturday 9 June 2012

Photographer Sees Self as Storyteller

 

Photographer Sees Self as Storyteller

Still: I've always been interested in photography. That's when the magic happens. That's when I started getting serious, taking classes, investing in equipment and then eventually opening my business. Right now it is just a part-time gig, as part-time as owning a business can be.

Still: Up until this point my core business has been maternity, newborns and families. But I know I will always come back to people. I was more of a memory keeper than anything up until my children were born, though. They also understand lighting, angles and composition. I think more and more people today recognize the valuation of professional photography, and while a consumer-grade camera can take a great picture today, professionals invest tens of thousands of dollars in equipment, even more on training and spend hours editing. But thanks to social media, the Internet and just old-fashioned beating the streets and meeting people, I'm starting to build my Florida client base. Maybe they are a mom who spends all day taking care of her little ones, or a business woman who is constantly on the go, and for those couple of hours you get to make it all about her. You get to make her feel as beautiful as she is.

Still: The same way I make any of my clients feel comfortable, whether they are pregnant, a shy 2-year-old or women in a boudoir session: I become friends with them first, find common ground, and if it comes down to it I'll start cracking terrible jokes that if they aren't laughing at the punch line at least they are laughing at how ridiculous I am.

Still: Absolutely, and I think that the rise in popularity of custom boudoir photography is just great. I never want to be happy with where I'm at with my photography, I always want to be better and grow as an artist. Every session I have I do a self-review and sometimes reach out to my circle of photographer friends for critique.

Still: I think the biggest motivator I ever got was in my first photography class. I've only had a few students over the years that I can say this to, and you are one of them, this might be your living.

Still: I think when you capture someone's essence that is when they appear their best. I aim for fresh, modern and natural poses, I try to show people just living and enjoying the moment or each other. I have boxes and boxes of photographs that I love to look through. I feel like photographs and songs are very much alike. Weddings are a whole new challenge and I have really enjoyed the experience. I was so nervous thinking this would be just like the time I was 8 and my tennis instructor told my mom and me after lessons one day that she should stop wasting her money. People are amazing to me and I love to capture individuality, uniqueness and emotion.

Still: I think anyone can take amazing photos because no matter what, a photograph is a memory; some of my favorite photos of my kids are iPhone pictures! . " . It was a huge box of Omaha steaks.

Photographer Sees Self as Storyteller



Trade News selected by Local Linkup on 09/06/2012

 

No comments:

Post a Comment